V-Berth Restoration Complete

User avatar
carl
Royal Aluminum Star
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:58 pm

V-Berth Restoration Complete

Postby carl » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Here is string of photos I'm sharing of my V-Berth restoration. First I removed the two old mattress halves, they were still the original 4" thick foam mattresses from 1990 but were wasted. Then I unscrewed the marine plywood deck from under the mattresses and pulled out the two plywood halves along with the trap door section. I removed all of the teak trim including all the pieces around the forward deck hatch, and the anchor rope cubby hole door. Cleaned, brightened and oiled all of the teak before screwing it back in. Pulled out the old macerator pump and hoses and the aluminum holding tank. The holding tank was mounted on top of a piece of marine plywood and the human waste and acids this original tank had seen over the past twenty six years actually ate up the aluminum tank bottom so thin walled it was weeping, disgusting. The macerator, hoses, tank and piece of marine plywood from under the weeping holding tank all went straight to the dumpster. Next I retrieved all kinds of debris from under the V-Berth plywood, the area under a 32' Marinette V-Berth is quite large, you just don't realize it until you open it up. I found coins, screws, wire, bobby pins, a comb, lots of wooden debris from the factory which was clogging up the weep holes between plates and ribs as well as a bunch of dust and dirt. Next I dragged the garden hose up into the bow along with a bucket of water and lots of soap and bleach. First I scrubbed the walls, you can't hurt the walls with soap and water as they are marine plywood and a very durable vinyl wallpaper glued to its surface. I also scrubbed the vinyl ceiling clean. Then I turned my hose into the bilge and went to town brushing and flushing it clean, because of the holding tank leaking like it was I really hit this hard and used lots of elbow grease and soap, bleach and water. I let it all dry out for a couple of days with the windows and hatch open. I took the marine plywood deck that was under the mattresses and cleaned them with soap and water too, once they were dry I glued short gray indoor outdoor carpet on the tops of them real flat, once the glue had cured I trimmed all around these plywood halves and trap door with a single edge razor, this made for a nice soft barrier between the plywood and my new mattress protecting the new mattress underside from chafing on bare plywood. I installed a stainless steel continuous piano hinge on the trap door so that I could lift the mattress and open the door on a hinge instead of having to remove the entire trap door. Installed a new piece of plywood where the holding tank used to be. Then installed a new Raritan Purasan marine sanitation device. Also installed a small bilge heater for the winter months operated by a light switch with a red indicator light from outside making it very easy to turn on and off as needed. All new hoses, clamps and through hull fittings for this system. I reinstalled the marine plywood now covered with indoor outdoor carpeting, screwing it back down through the original holes this time using stainless finishing washers, looks much more finished now. I took the two mattress halves to the Mermaid mattress factory in Cleveland, TN where they used the mattress halves as a template to manufacture a 6" thick memory foam mattress for me, they did a great job, I'm sleeping really deep on it. Then I contacted the people over at http://www.yachtbedding.com and sent them dimensions of my mattress in the form of a drawing, this company made me a custom cut mattress cover to protect my new mattress and a custom fit navy blue sheet set, you can see the bare mattress, the mattress cover and the navy blue sheets in three separate photos I've attached. They fit great and are very comfortable. Lastly I installed a new LED dome light, a brass berth light for reading, a teak shelf and a carbon monoxide detector. Additionally I had the insight to cut in and install two round white deck plates, one port and the other starboard which allow me access to the nuts and washers under my forward deck cleats making it very handy to remove these cleats for topside painting, I'm doing the same for the mid ship cleats as well as the aft cleats, everything else you can get off for painting but not the cleats and if you want to maintain your topsides with fresh paint that looks great you have to remove everything otherwise it shows.
Attachments
PC220013.JPG
PC220012.JPG
PC220010.JPG
PC220009.JPG
PC210002.JPG
Last edited by carl on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge "IKOI"
Twin Crusader 350's (Closed Loop Cooling)
Bow to Stern Full On Restoration in Progress
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee
A boat is always safe at shore, but that's not what its built for...

User avatar
carl
Royal Aluminum Star
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:58 pm

Re: V-Berth Restoration Complete

Postby carl » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Three more pictures...
Attachments
PC220020.JPG
PC220017.JPG
PC220016.JPG
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge "IKOI"
Twin Crusader 350's (Closed Loop Cooling)
Bow to Stern Full On Restoration in Progress
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee
A boat is always safe at shore, but that's not what its built for...

drews32
New poster
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: V-Berth Restoration Complete

Postby drews32 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:10 am

Nice job! Thanks for Sharing.

javalin390
Aluminum Star
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:14 pm
Contact:

Re: V-Berth Restoration Complete

Postby javalin390 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:09 am

Very nice, sounds like you've restored the whole boat ! Please post pictures of the entire boat, we'd all love to see her.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio