Water out of spark plugs hole.

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Water out of spark plugs hole.

Post by legendlc »

I just came off of my project and was pretty down and the dumps to find O have a major engine issue. I thought I was having a bad day until I read a post entitled "bad day" I urge everyone to send a prayer, love, good vibes or whatever you into to the owner of that post. I am now totally heart broken and deeply saddened for what I read.

My not so bad or serious issue from reading the post mentioned above was.....It finally cooled off enough outside to get the plugs out and see if I can get some lube into these engines to free them up. I pulled 15 plugs that looked perfect. #16 was followed by a heavy stream of water. I am assuming cracked block but is there a chance it could be head gasket or head?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
meltonhill
Tin star

Re: Water out of spark plugs hole.

Post by meltonhill »

Exhaust manifold if oil isn't milky.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Oil is fresh looking but doubt it has been started in a long time. Story I have is boat set for 10 years. It was plug closest to transmission end of motor if that means anything. Oil looks goof, plug actually looked good also. Water smelt of faint gas but was crystal clear.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

That's good and bad news. I agree that the water probably came from the exhaust system, but if it slipped by the exhaust valve and lay in the cylinder for that long, you're sure to have rust problems, with the piston (rings, actually) rusted fast to the liner.

Have you been able to turn the motor over?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Jeff not yet just pulled the plugs and was going to get some sort of light oil such as transmission fluid, MMO, etc. Sounds like I need some good rust remover if that's possible to get into the cylinder. I need to get a funnel or something with a tube to get to the spark plugs holes.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

This may explain why the closed cooling system on this engine seemed low on antifreeze?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Would this mean a engine rebuild? Or would it be possible to pull the heads and clean this piston and hopefully break it free?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

You need to get it turning over, first, then do a compression test--and pray a lot!

A tiny piece of possibly good news: IF that non-oil; liquid in the cylinder is anti-freeze, and not pure water, you MIGHT not have serious rust issues. That said, anti-freeze and oil and bad news on the bearings, so be sure to put new oil in before you do anything.

My fingers are all crossed for you--all ten.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I'll accept crossed toes also if that's a option. Lol yea I really was counting on luck to get this thing running without too many big issues. I hope to get something in the cylinders this week. Unfortunately the location it is blocked up is between 2 buildings with no room for any equipment to even attempt to pull the engines. What was I thinking lol. Jeff if your ever down lake Cumberland area give me a shout. Or if your for hire to take a look at the old girl and give me a roadmap of what to do that would be appreciated. It's pretty sad I can install and commission radar, autopilot, etc, have custom tuned Merc 700's via flashed programs, sold and delivered the first Volvo IPS drives in the USA but don't know squat about these old Chrysler's lol. I keep trying to plug my laptop into them to pull the codes but haven't found the port yet lol.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

A motor's a motor! And these are far simpler than some you've worked with. Seriously.

To get oil into the cylinders, you can use a hose and small funnel.

Hang in there!

Jeff