Fresh water pump & accumulator

Things that are of general interest.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Fresh water pump & accumulator

Post by shade2u2 »

My fresh water pump is on it's last leg and I plan to replace it.  We have one head, two sinks and one shower.
1 - Any recommendations for a reliable & quiet pump.that doesn't break the bank? **Also... what GPM or pressure do you recommend?

2- Does an accumulator tank help to make the water pressure more consistent and reduce the time that the pump runs?  Any accumulator suggestions?

​​​​​​​Thank you in advance.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Ray4713
Tin star

Re: Fresh water pump & accumulator

Post by Ray4713 »

I replaced mine 2 years ago with a Sureflo Aqua King 2. I don't remember the cost but it sure was an improvement over the Jabsco belt driven pump I had. I am really pleased with my water pressure and it runs very quiet. I can hardly hear it running when it kicks on. I also have 2 sinks, one head and one shower so no issues there. The accumulator holds some water and is pressurized, similar to a freshwater well holding tank in a residence, although on a much smaller scale. If you search "freshwater holding tank pump you will see several posts discussing pump replacement and other issues. Best of luck with your replacement
1987 32' Sedan Flybridge "Brown Eyes"
Twin Chrysler 318s
Center Hill lake, TN
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Not sure whether an accumulator will reduce pump running time. But it certainly ended awful knocking of the cold water line as it absorbed and smoothed out pressure changes.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

It reduces the number of starts, but the pump runs about the same. Worth it.

You'll find the Sure Flo is a LOT better than that belt driven clunker.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington