Facebook Group

Things that are of general interest.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Facebook Group

Post by legendlc »

Not sure if anyone here is part of the Facebook group but I have not had a Facebook account in 5 years but I created a new one to join the group. I was accepted in the group then before I could post anything I was apparently blocked. If anyone is in that group could you please pass the word that I am a real person. I am not a huge social media person at all but I would like to get knowledge and share with the group. My Facebook account was under
Al Uminum ( figured they would get the name) I am rebuilding a 1978 37 DC and boat on Lake Cumberland KY.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Facebook Group

Post by Busia »

You'll find more knowledge on this site. More boats for sale on the other. Most have been sitting for years, now they want to sell.
Passed on your message, lets see if it works. Then you can spend even more time on the computer and it will be my fault.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Not a fan of Facebook. Sorry.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
cantolina

Post by cantolina »

Busia wrote:You'll find more knowledge on this site. More boats for sale on the other. Most have been sitting for years, now they want to sell.
Passed on your message, lets see if it works. Then you can spend even more time on the computer and it will be my fault.
As a new M owner, I can confirm this observation. There are a bunch of great people on the FB site, but I've culled most of what I've learned right here.

I'm very happy with the boat I just bought (as a result of FB), but forums are typically where the knowledge resides.

Its too bad, really. I used to be a supermod at xlforum.org, and my last conversation with that site owner said forum attendance was being killed by FB.
Chuck
32' Sedan FB
Venture II
Port Colborne, ONT
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

One major advantage here is that forum contents are searchable (an underused feature). For FB, it has a friendlier post-an-image and video capability. Though it's really not that hard here and this site will accept pdf's but FB does not appear to
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Oh I totally understand that there is a wealth of knowledge here I have been given more then I ever expected already in this forum. I am very appreciative of that. The main purpose was to find parts etc for sale. I just missed out on a extended swim platform on the FB site that may have for my boat if so it would save me from having it done myself. I assumed odd and end parts showed up there quite often. I do struggle with pictures on this site sometime they past sometime not.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

You rightly point out that sometimes, checking both places helps a lot. As for pix here, it's best to use a reduced size version at 72 or 96 dpi. I know reducing size can be a challenge for someone not software savvy so I'll just note that there is free software that will do that - Faststone is a great one and Paint comes free with Windows (at least I think it still does)-- and how-tos are easy to Google. Really, it ain't hard.
But sometimes, even with the stars properly aligned, posting documenmts or images can be a chore. Mostly, though, it works as demonstrated by our users.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

You rightly point out that sometimes, checking both places helps a lot. As for pix here, it's best to use a reduced size version at 72 or 96 dpi. I know reducing size can be a challenge for someone not software savvy so I'll just note that there is free software that will do that - Faststone is a great one and Paint comes free with Windows (at least I think it still does)-- and how-tos are easy to Google. Really, it ain't hard.
But sometimes, even with the stars properly aligned, posting documenmts or images can be a chore. Mostly, though, it works as demonstrated by our users.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

There are instructions on this site about posting pics, just use the search feature to find them.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
dsprentice
New poster

Post by dsprentice »

I have a 1987 Fisherman with brass Moeller 3/8" gasoline valves. Has anyone used grease made for gasoline valves to lube a hard to close Moeller valve?