Engine stalls after getting to temp

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Re: Engine stalls after getting to temp

Post by Leviathon »

Think you need to upgrade your coil at the same time with an internal resistor. Then wire directly to coil and key - throw external resistor and ignition mod in the trash.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Steven

Post by Steven »

Leviathon wrote:Think you need to upgrade your coil at the same time with an internal resistor. Then wire directly to coil and key - throw external resistor and ignition mod in the trash.
I want to make sure I understand 100%. I grabbed this wire diagram off of another post. My understanding is that I would wire ignition switch to the positive side of the coil. Positive wire of the pertronix to coil. Then remove the existing ignition system and the wire to the starter solenoid.
Attachments
463BFA41-0A56-4C26-B325-5A44EBF46018.jpeg
1977 32’ Sedan with Flybridge. Twin screw Chrysler 318. Home Port: Michigan City, IN
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

You have a black and red coming from Pertronix Dist. Black goes to negative side of coil, Red goes to positive side of coil . From Key - you should have ST or S and ING or I. The S goes to starter solenoid, the I goes to positive side of coil. So the "I" wire and the Red from Pertronix both go to positive terminal on coil. I used the "Flamethrower" coil them recommended, but I think any 12v coil with internal resister will work. It sound like you have it figured out in your description above. - will look a lot different than the pic of the old system. Good Luck!
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks everyone for the help. I installed the new pertronix dist. yesterday and the sea test went well. I hope this solved my issue. I did lose my temp gauges, I didn’t have enough time to mess around with it. I am planning on addressing that next weekend and taking a longer sea test. Thanks again.
1977 32’ Sedan with Flybridge. Twin screw Chrysler 318. Home Port: Michigan City, IN
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Glad to hear it.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Ok as I understand it is always the Port Engine?

Next time switch STB Coil with Port (do this from a cold start up) see if the Port continues to run and the STB drops.

Running Pertronix Dist. for 7 seasons no issues and NO resistor.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain