New hole needed

Things that are of general interest.
mytoy28

New hole needed

Post by mytoy28 »

I have to make a extra intake hole for a 3/4 inch seacock to supply water for a new toilet.
what is the best way to make a hole in the hull and to install the seacock, what is the best & easiest to buy.
John
John Visser
1984 28` Sportsman F.B.
Twin Crusader 229 CI 220 HP
Killarney Bay, Killarney, ON, Canada
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: New hole needed

Post by GB49 »

A drill and hole saw will work. Hull is not that thick. Just make sure the saw is for metal and not wood.

Can get the bronze seacock and thu hull from West Marine. Don't forget "below the waterline" adhesive and a package of gloves. Also helps to have 2 people. 1 inside to tighten and 1 outside to hold the fitting.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

If you use bronze remember to isolate it from the hull. When they installed the upgraded seacocks on my 28, they used plastic bushings on both sides. However, some people use marelon so they don't have to fuss with all that.

Nothing like youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9h__bObMcw

She has some great points--make sure your unit fits, measure carefully, dry fit, etc.

Good luck.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I just used the seacock that supplied raw water for the port engine. What little water you use for the head won't make a difference to the engine. I welded up all the holes in the hull that I could eliminate.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
moorewaves
New poster

Post by moorewaves »

I had a 28 Sport Fisherman that had a pin hoe at the intake hose just above the strainer and it made the engine run hot. Be careful about tying into existing intakes. Don't know if they are all this sensitive to that small of a change in flow but I was amazed that small of a hole would make the engine run hot.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."I was amazed that small of a hole would make the engine run hot."

Me tooo when I had a TINY air leak in the hose going to the water pump. Some squid had used a non-marine clamp. It had rusted and was not sealing tight enough.

If you Tee off the water intake for the head, you MIGHT suck in air. I wouldn't go that way.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington