Obsolete Sherwood dual pocket CW pump

BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Obsolete Sherwood dual pocket CW pump

Post by BlueSkye »

I have Sherwood D60 pumps on my Chrysler 318s. They are discontinued along with the pump shaft which I need to replace. I believe I've located a shaft on ebay, but next time might not be so lucky.

Has anyone found a workaround using some other pump? Has anyone tried a single pocket pump? I see one from Sherwood that likely has the same mounting. The question is can a single impeller give adequate cooling flow.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Obsolete Sherwood dual pocket CW pump

Post by Fastjeff »

If you go to a conventional pump you will have to replace the timing cover assembly on your engine(s) with one(s) that has a circulating pump (like most all applications). Pain in the a** but it can be done in the boat.

Sorry,

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

Don't be sorry yet, I'm not yet considering an automotive style setup. I believe that later models Chrysler 318 were fitted with a single raw water pump rather than the dual I have. Sherwood still makes the G7B and it looks like the mounting is the same as the old D60. The plumbing has to be different. Maybe the thermostat housing is different. I'm still poking around.

I don't remember, do you have Chryslers?
1971 32ft Express 2x318
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Hmm :shock: The boat is 50 years young :!:
If you do rebuild and say get another 25 years on the old girl that would be amazing.

Like Fastjeff said, if you are going to switch to a single pocket pump on your Chrysler engine you would have to have the extra circulation pump that is used on "automotive" style Chrysler engines. Also the circulation pump mounted on the front of the engine must match the engine rotation. :shock:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

"If you do rebuild and say get another 25 years on the old girl that would be amazing."

Thanks for the good will! If I am still the Captain in 25 years, that will be amazing too.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

The D65 pumps are discontinued, but the D60 is still available. I probably have a good used one in stock.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson