41' '88 Marquis - General questions on

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

41' '88 Marquis - General questions on

Post by bcassedy »

Sharon and I are looking at another Marinette (which would mean we'll have a 32' Sedan Bridge for sale.)

We have several questions that the ownership of our 32'er doesn't provide answers to...

1. The boat's exhaust ports sit half submerged. While there is some water in the aft end, it doesn't seem excessive (but we know the aft shower pan pump need work/replacement)
--> is the 1/2 submergence normal for a 41'er?

2. The original Nocold fridge/freezer quit and has been pulled.
---> what are the dimensions of the cubby the original sits in (mea cupa - we didn't take them when we looked at the boat... :oops: )

3. Has anyone replaced a single outer sliding window in the salon area. The boat was damaged a few years ago when a barge broke loose on the Ohio and took out an entire marina.
--> how difficult is / would it be to pull the window and replace it?

4. Type - the serial number, as taken from just inside the aft cabin to salon engine room steps indicates the year of manufacture was (March) of '88...
--> Didn't Marinette make "Marquis" part of the external nameplate?
Only "Marinette " is on the nameplate on the hull's exterior.

There are some other issues but they're ones that I don't believe are specific only to this size model boat.

If anyone with knowledge of 41'ers would like to chime in on what check, verify this, etc, would like to hear...
The current owner has provided a survey taken Aug 13, 2020 which gives us some good info AND it does show the boat to be a "Marquis". Just thought the name would be noted on the outside.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
robalo220
Tin star

Re: 41' '88 Marquis - General questions on

Post by robalo220 »

3. Has anyone replaced a single outer sliding window in the salon area. The boat was damaged a few years ago when a barge broke loose on the Ohio and took out an entire marina.
--> how difficult is / would it be to pull the window and replace it?

Bill, I have a 41 sedan so my exhaust ports sit above the water. However to answer the window question, there are usually 2-3 screws in each track. Two people can remove those screws sliding the windows back and forth to access the screws and you can just pull the track out which holds the windows. Thats why you need 2 people to help hold the glass so it doesn't fall. You can then take your glass to a local glass shop to have more cut and then just replace the windows/track in the reverse order. A dab of caulk in each screw hole. You may want to add weep holes to the tracks to help the water drain out and not back in and crawl up and into the cabin behind the teak trim that is screwed in that lip between the glass track and the teak.

You can find dimensions of your old norcold fridge online to figure out the size and compare replacement options such as Nova Kool. Their website actually has comparison units for dimension comparison. I have a replacement Nova Kool. They are expensive but you can not hear the rotary compressor run and are very efficient. Linkage: https://www.novakool.com/product-specs-1

In answer to the nameplate: Most 41's have the nameplate Marquis attached. If yours isn't there it may have been damaged and removed. Mine has it
John

1991 41 Marquis Convertible "Running on Water"
454 Crusaders
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Thanks a lot, John!! Great info!
Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
bpboater
Tin star

Post by bpboater »

Bill,

I have a double cabin 41 from 1988. My exhaust is not partially submerged, but might be if it was full of fuel and full of water. Fuel is 350 gallons (2000 pounds) under the rear bed. Water is 150 gallons (1200 pounds) under the salon floor. I also believe the boat you are looking at took on some water while at the marina and had water come up to the rear of the bedroom floor. You might have some water trapped in the rear of the boat. Pull the mattress bed board forward and look down in the rear of the hull for any water.

I replaced my refrigerator with a GE 120 volt only and installed a small inverter for it when away from the dock. This 5 cu ft refrigerator is smaller than the Norcold 828 that was in there. I raised the floor where the refrigerator sits and put an extra cabinet under it. If I did it again, I would buy an APS750 Tripp Lite automatic inverter and battery charger with a separate deep cycle battery for the fridge. The APS 750 automatically detects the presence of 120 volts and switches to inverter mode when not present. When the 120 volt comes back on, the inverter passes through the 120 volt and begins charging the battery.

I think the boat you are looking at is a good one. I hope it works out for you.

Paul
1988 41 Marinette
Twin Crusader 454-350 hp closed cooling
Westerbeke 8.5 kw BTG
Lake Cumberland, KY
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Well, we gulped and made the leap... Our offer for the '88 Marquis has been accepted. We'll close on the transaction around the 22nd of Oct. I may have to hobble to the closing as I'm having right hip replaced on the 13th (I do love BigM !!).

Additional questions:
1. For those who have bought BigM 's in Ohio -AND- in a non-brokered purchase, was there any paperwork other than title transfer and bill of sale (both notarized) you can alert us to?

2. The boat's 2 door fridge/freezer broke some time back and has been removed.
- does anyone know of a non-marine brand 2 door fridge/freezer that will fit closely into the normal niche?
---> we're going to use same setup as we did on our 32' SB:
- standard AC voltage fridge/freezer (2 door unit)
- 2000w inverter,
- separate AC circuit
- dedicated battery (I'll build a 12v LiFePo4 280 to 304AH
battery (it'll be winter. I need to fill the time... :D )
I've been scouring the web but it seems any unit is just a yittle
too tall (max ht = 53") .

There are undoubtedly other pieces of info you folks can offer AND I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM!!!

Our current boat will be coming up for sale in 2022 as I have some work to do on her (install purchased Rochester carb on port engine, rebuild back cockpit deck.)

I'm retired???? :o

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
bpboater
Tin star

Post by bpboater »

Summit makes refrigerators that are not too tall. Check out this one. https://www.build.com/summit-cp972/s1460208?uid=3436877
1988 41 Marinette
Twin Crusader 454-350 hp closed cooling
Westerbeke 8.5 kw BTG
Lake Cumberland, KY
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I purchased my 37' from a private owner, no broker. Went to my title office (in Wayne county Ohio) transferred title and was able to transfer the current registration with no problem. Other than the state sales tax ($$$/ouch) it was pretty painless.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Thanks Jim!
We closed on the boat this past Saturday. She'll be docked in Indiana so (after several calls to various state agencies) we pay Excise Tax to Indiana.
Looking forward to getting her prepped to splash next spring. Because I just had hip surgery, have to hire certified captain to move her from Dayton, KY to Aurora, In to be put in hard. Marina there will winterize engines and put her up blocks. Spring holds a number of project (both for 'new' 41' and 2b sold 32' SB).
Always something... 😉

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Couple of updates...
Fridge alcove (replacing fridge) -
- alcove opening is 53 1/2" tall. Norcold's (Major bucks) fridge will just fit in there.
- tallest alternative is a Magic Chef 4.8 cu ft unit (top freezer - which we want). Pricing online runs $260 to $500 ... seems the best fit.

Winterizing - was (pleasantly surprised to find AC units were fed by a single primary water Inlet and pump whose outlet immediately split out for rr AC unit and fwd AC unit with a better 'salad bowl' strainer. I installed a valve shutoff on both outlet feeds just after the pump. I can now control where antifreeze goes to when pouring into salad bowl. Will install old style radiator heater hose T's (has threaded cap in T) to allow for back flushing of each separate AC unit (lesson learned from our 32').

NEW QUESTION...
More for 41' owners (higher freeboard) but might apply to others...)
What / how do you embark/disembark the boat when not at your home dock? We plan on taking the boat both up and down river (Ohio. - the Great Loop would be great but keeping things in perspective at the moment... 😉) I've thought about some kind of folding stairs attached to the bow -OR- to one side that would collapse/fold up and be relatively unobtrusive.
Anyone have any ideas?

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

On my old Marinette and two RVs I replaced the complex dual power refrigerator with an "apartment" sized AC unit and was very pleased. Pick the largest you can fit.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington