Changing Packing Gland - How big of a job is this?

Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Changing Packing Gland - How big of a job is this?

Post by Tranquilo »

Gentlemen, its been a long time, I hope you all are well.

I'm getting ready to do my annual maintenance (3 years too late :) and have a question about changing out the packing gland with the goretex stuff.

1. is it a big job to do it?
2. do I have to pull the propeller shaft to do it?
3. if I pull the shaft, should I change the bearings? (I'm assuming the horrible chatter I hear when going up and down swells is a bad bearing... IDK)
4. is it worth doing if all I am dealing with is a little dripping in my bilge and a little grinding noise on the occasional big wake or high seas (lake erie) ?

Thank you all for the input - good and bad lol. If any of you are at Brand's Marina in Port Clinton, stop by and say hi. You can't miss the boat :)

D
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Changing Packing Gland - How big of a job is this?

Post by jralbert »

If I were King: The grinding noise could be coming from multiple sources when you hit the short hard chop on Lake Erie. Push and pull on the shaft at the strut and if there's excessive (you're the judge) play, replace the bearing. Turn the prop - if it's hard to turn by hand, replace the bearing.

I once changed the gland myself following a boating mag article (long lost to history, but there are prob very good YouTube videos available today). Def go with Goretex per its reputation for longevity and effectiveness. Somewhere I read (Jeff, help me here) that G'tex requires one more or less turn.
If I could change it, any other idiot could do that and judging from your videos, that isn't you.

A little dripping in bilge is normal.

I am not King.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

OK, followed your advice and everything was fine. A guy at the marina wiggled the shaft and said the bearing was fine, so I'll put it till next year.

Now for the corrosion issue (eek)
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Tranquilo wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:05 pmNow for the corrosion issue (eek)
Look for exposed, shorting wires. Correct number of zincs making good contact and securely fastened
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD