Installing Diesel Heater

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
WashingtonMike
New poster

Installing Diesel Heater

Post by WashingtonMike »

I have a 1981 37DC. I'm trying to decide where to install a diesel heater. I have twin Volvos so two diesel tanks in the aft cabin on the starboard side. The simple place to install a heater would be where the old air conditioning unit was placed. It's between the down galley and the solon (behind the old ice maker). I can feed the fuel from the aft cabin tanks, through the engine room and to the heater but I'm a little worried about the exhaust being so far forward. Would I have fumes entering the cabin? The obvious place to put the exhaust would be just behind the galley on the port side. The common wisdom is to put the heater exhaust in the aft quarter to prevent fumes from leaking in. Any thought would be greatly appreciated. The boat is in Bellingham, Washington.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Installing Diesel Heater

Post by Fastjeff »

If you plan to run the heater under way, the exhaust must be located aft--right?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
WashingtonMike
New poster

Post by WashingtonMike »

That's my understanding. The only reason for the exhaust to be in the aft section is to prevent fumes from drifting into the cabin. You're right, it wouldn't really matter while you are tied up or at anchor. The location I'm looking at is just forward of mid-ship. The only aft location would be in the aft cabin or possibly the engine room. If it's in the engine room, I would be concerned with engine room smell getting into the cabin through the heater duct. I'm just not sure if fumes would actually drift in while under way if it were positioned behind the galley.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I don't have a 37, so I don't know your dimensions.
In my 32, I mounted it on the floor behind the refrigerator. There was almost a perfect amount of floor space there. My exhaust goes straight through the floor and out the hull. It exits about 3" above the water line.
HoHum 1969 Marinette 28 Sportsman dive boat with twin 250hp outboards
Andianna 1977 Marinette 32 Express
Scuba diving charters on the Great Lakes
www.belowthegrade.com
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

What if the waves are 8 inches high?

(Sorr: couldn't resist!))

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

The exhaust pipe would get wet.
HoHum 1969 Marinette 28 Sportsman dive boat with twin 250hp outboards
Andianna 1977 Marinette 32 Express
Scuba diving charters on the Great Lakes
www.belowthegrade.com