Rudder Cable Isolation

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
jdpgsp
New poster

Rudder Cable Isolation

Post by jdpgsp »

I have read numerous articles concerning the rudder shaft isolation using non-metallic bushings. However, what about isolation of the connected steering linkages that electrically connect the rudders to the hull steering components. My attention here is similar to the prop shaft isolation. All of this to minimize galvanic corrosion. Does anyone know how Marinette originally isolated those linkages?
Jim
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Rudder Cable Isolation

Post by GB49 »

Mine are not isolated. I've tested with meter and have continuity to hull. I've tried to wrap the shaft with electrical tape where the large Alan screw tightens the clamp but still there is a closed circuit. I suspect the cable runs to bridge and touches hull via the steering wheel hub. It is mounted directly to the Aluminum bridge panel.
I have cable steering, 1986, 32 sedan. Maybe with hydraulic steering or lower helm only, this would not be a problem?

I just keep the shafts and rudders "anoded".

-Karl

An after thought.... I think I disconnected my rudder cables and found NO continuity from shafts to hull. This is why I figured the bridge wheel hub was the culprit.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

This is something I am curious of myself. I see the steering cables that are connected to the rudders also have a bracket in the engine compartment that they connect to with a rubber gasket beneath them. As far as where the isolation is supposed to take place other than the rudder bearings, I have read some posters speaking of it but I am not sure where it takes place.
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

Anyone ever look into this anymore? I am going to tracking down all my hull contact points and work to isolate them.
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

On mine there are plastic washers and a sleeve on the bolt where the cable is attached to the bell crank to the rudder steering systems. Also found that my cable steering was built by a company in Detroit. Now out of business. Glen-L sailboat company had a few parts but were expensive and I needed to fix it now as I had company coming. Found the best thing for me was to replace the whole thing with Tele-flex steering and make an adapter for the end. The end of the cable is set up to work for outboards but I needed a 3/8 NF stud to fit a fork that went to the bell crank. Whole new system was about $200 and made the adapter and was up and running. Now I can get parts and it works so smoothly, first time I drove the boat I didn't think it was hooked up, the wheel turned so easily.----Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P