Just Saying

Things that are of general interest.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Just Saying

Post by Rockxx »

So, I woke up stupid one morning last December and decided, Hell, I'm only 71 years old and in good shape, I've got time to get another boat. Had seen my first Marinette, a 1961' 31' single AMC and fell in love. Made an offer and after waiting a week with no response, moved on to my second choice, 1972' 29' single, express, no FB. Boat was in great shape with fairly recent hull paint but needed topside. No problem, had seen what some of you guys had done with rollers and brush, so I went for it. Well, finished the second coat on the top this morning, and sure enough, it looks like I painted with a brush and roller. Plan on doing the cabin roof tomorrow and am hoping for better success after practicing on the part no one can see. Pulled the rails last week and decided to cover the screw holes with duct tape to keep out any water. Just spent 2 hours cleaning up the adhesive left when the top layer only came up. Anyway,just wanted to tell you guys how much I enjoy the forum and to let you know how helpful it is to us new Guys.

Rockxx
28' Express, Single, "Safari"
Once owned, 14 x 68 Somerset WB, FB,Twin Volvos, no thrusters
12 x 37 Carlcraft, Single Volvo 350 (like parking a coal barge)
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
MetalHead
Site Admin

Re: Just Saying

Post by MetalHead »

Get a cabinet roller and try that. Also try not tipping. What paint are you using?
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Blue Water Marine, Mega Gloss Gold, semi gloss, Silicone Copolymer. The hull was painted in 2007 with the same paint and has held up very well. I'm using a 6" cabinet roller, per your advice, and bought a real good brush for the trim. I believe my problem was not enough thinner. At some point, after giving the paint enough time to harden, I may lightly sand the top and apply Another coat. I'm doing the cabin roof shortly and hope to have better results.
It's tough painting, holding on with one hand and not able to back up and check your work.
Single Chrysler 318
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Jamestown has good YouTube vids on painting. Looks like you need two people to keep a good wet blend going . very thin layer of paint before tip. Painting on sunny day is a challenge because paint dries quick. See vids... Very good pointers on there.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

:geek:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Pulled up the Jamestown Website and now understand the roll and tip. Will try that tomorrow morning, may go get a foam roller and hit the thinner heavy and see what happens. Hoping two coats are enough. Ain't doing this again.
Thanks Guys,
Rockxx
Single Chrysler 318
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I'm 71 as well and respect your desire and energy!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington