window seal question

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
ukester
Tin star

window seal question

Post by ukester »

i bought the new aluminum channels from John and he did cut some down so the windows could be removed-he never sent the rolls of sealer and have tried to call but is there another product to use.
also has anyone else used the new metal cut down channels?
mark ucakar
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Re: window seal question

Post by martindesign »

The rolls aren't a sealer they are gliders so the window slides in the track. The tracks should be cut so that they drain but there are a few spots where some caulk will help to keep water from getting in behind the channels. I had to remove mine and strategically caluk under the rails. No more leaks. Although I get some movement in the glass that I need to figure out. The tracks are too wide.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: window seal question

Post by jralbert »

The rolls are thin strip of a nylon or plastic material on which the windows glide. But they are not critical if you spray the channels with silicone to ease window movement. My original glide strips disintegrated in the sun and I went for years without them with no problems. Not allowing the windows to slide freely as the boat pitches has some benefit
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD