34' Marquis Sedan

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
AjAlley
New poster

34' Marquis Sedan

Post by AjAlley »

Hello

New to the forum and have been learning a lot so far. My wife and I are currently looking for a 32 sedan and ran across a 1991 34'. Does anyone have any information regarding the 34' Marquis?

Thanks
Last edited by AjAlley on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Re: 34' Marquis Sedan

Post by Rockit »

Never seen one, but they look sharp in the pictures.

Like any boat, if you're seriously considering it, get a survey. The surveyor who did my boat did a great job and was familiar with BigMs--he's from Northeast Ohio if that is close to where the boat is.

If you pass on it, send me a PM because I'd like to have a look. We've become infected with the four foot disease so what's two more?
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
captpaddwheel
Tin star

Post by captpaddwheel »

Hey Guys,
Been trying to track all the Marinette 34's out there for years. I have a 1992 34' Aft Cabin on the Chesapeake Bay. I've never seen another one or heard of another one. I've only heard of and seen (2) 34' Sedans. (1) in Michigan and (1) in the Philadelphia/New Jersey area. If this is another, please let me know where it is. Would be cool to keep in touch with the current owner or a new one.
Thanks, Capt. Paddwheel
1992 34 foot Aft Cabin with Crusader 454's

"There's Old Captains and there's Bold Captains,
But there's not many Old Bold Captains"
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

The reason for the scarcity of 34 footers is no doubt tied to the fact that Marinette as a company was sinking in the early 90's. They were auctioned off in 94. The 34's were probably an effort to try something that might increase sales. It obviously was not enough. We were in a recession in 90-91, interest rates were relatively high so who could afford boats?
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

I may be mistaken but I think the 34's and the 41 "Convertible" models were made by Harbor Master?? I think they attempted to build the Marinette line but ultimately gave it up.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
AjAlley
New poster

Post by AjAlley »

Does anyone have information regarding the hull, were there any changes? I will post pictures and more information after we look at it on Sunday

Thanks
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

The way I heard if from John Althouse was Garcia sold Marinette to a houseboat company and production was moved from Louisville to Tennessee. (Undoubtedly an attempt at cost saving.) Of course the crew that knew how to build BigM s efficiently was left behind in Louisville. One of John's friends later bought Marinette and tried to restart production in Louisville and brought John in as a partner. John got the specs, plans, records, and some jigs for struts etc when he bought his partner out some time later.

And it's likely the recession in the early 90s played a part in Marinette's demise--though Captain Garcia survived more than a few of those.

Anyone want to start a boat company? With Genmar popping 40' hulls in only 8 man hours, it would be very tough to compete with plastic.

I don't know too much about the 34s except they look cool. So do the 41s, but I doubt I'd sell the Admiral on one of those.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I am sorry to see it but the day of the larger recreational aluminum boats has passed. Reason: Cost, labor, and just lack of talent to hand build them.

But... notice... the commercial work boat industry is dominated by sturdy well made aluminum work boats! Why? BECAUSE THEY ARE STRONG AND LAST A VERY LONG TIME!

Dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

People only care about how new something is anymore. No one makes a boat with the classy lines anymore. The look of my seacrest is so different than any other houseboat out there.
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

Speaking to the demise of Marinette....
The economy was in the toilet, luxury tax was in effect, home mortgage interest was double digits, most importantly though, the city of Louisville was actively courting UPS, which meant that they needed more land.
There were a couple of other companies that got pushed out as well...International Harvester, although from what I remember, their Louisville operation was mostly relocated by then, and Bremner Biscuit, and I am not sure about their strength, company wise, in Louisville versus other, if any, production locations.
Mr.Garcia had endured numerous business up's and down's prior to even forming Aluminum Cruisers Inc.. Could he have weathered the early 90's? Hard to say given the economy and the city of Louisville actively expanding the airport.
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River