venture trailer

Things that are of general interest.
seef158
Aluminum Star

venture trailer

Post by seef158 »

I thought I would let everyone know that I bought a Venture VATB8725 aluminum trailer for my 28 express single engine this fall. I previously had a Jerde bunk trailer but did not like the aluminum boat sitting on the steel bunks since I plan on trailering a couple hundred miles per year. Anyways the Venture trailer fits nicely, I have some small adjustments to do but I think the trailer will end up working very nicely. I got the optional front target bunks on my Venture, which I would strongly recommend. Another note would be to put the rear bunks on the highest setting if anyone picks up one of these trailers. Mine were on the middle adjustment and the hull just barely clears the fenders with the rear bunks on the middle hole.
That being said I'm not sure how this trailer would work for a boat with twins. I think you would need to order the model that is designed for inboards for the extra clearance of the running gear in the rear. Now all I need to do is devise a bow eye since the new trailer has a winch, which my old trailer did not....
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Re: venture trailer

Post by Maestro »

I also have a venture aluminum I-beam trailer which came with my 28'. Here's some info on it for anyone who might be researching trailer options:

It's a triple axle trailer and weighs 1800 pounds. It's extremely easy to control while backing up. Hydraulic surge brakes on the front 2 axles do a nice job of slowing down the load. Triple axle trailers don't much like tight turns. You skid the tires.

It currently does NOT have the front target bunks (aka mini bunks) which I would like to add someday. The boat is fairly easy to load onto the trailer nice and straight if wind and current are not excessive, but I think the target bunks would make things even better. I also added a heavy duty bow eye to my boat, which makes an unbelievable difference. Trying to load the 28' onto the trailer without the bow eye was a huge pain in the rear end, in my opinion.

My wife and I can launch our boat with the same ease and speed as you could with a small speedboat. Recovery is a bit trickier but once you have a system its really not bad at all as long as the wind is cooperative.

In addition to the bow winch strap and safety chain, we use 3 heavy duty tie straps to secure the boat to the trailer. One just ahead of the cabin windows near the cleats, one over the stern, and a third going straight from the bow eye to a trailer cross member. That third one really helps cut down the "bounciness" of the boat/trailer on longer trips.

Someday when I feel like burning some money it would be cool to add a heavy duty electric winch to the front of the trailer. Winching that boat up by hand can be a bit of a workout.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Maestro, how did you install the bow eye? Any ideas and pictures you could send me?
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

I made a new post specifically about the bow eye to help keep the forum organized and easy to search. Also will send you a PM.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI