US Coast Guard Documentation ?

Things that are of general interest.
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

US Coast Guard Documentation ?

Post by Leviathon »

The Marinette I purchased in the Fall came with a US Coast Guard Registration. I think I figured out how to renew that, but is this in addition to the registration I would pay for in the state of Michigan? Do I still put reg numbers on either side of the boat?
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: US Coast Guard Documentation ?

Post by TinLizzy »

The numbers you are talking about are vessel documentation numbers, and yes I believe that you still need to register in MI, but possibly don't have to display MI registration numbers on hull.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

You'll like this: renewing federal registration is free (don't know about initial application for documentation). I think all you need to do is change registration from the old owner to you. Details may be on the Coast Guars registration web site. It's a lousy web site, very old fashion last time I checked and the staff is kind of lackadaisical but with patience you can work your way through it all. In Maryland, I had to register did not have to display MD hull numbers though I did have to pay for yearly registration and display a sticker on the window. MI rules may be different but my guess is that hull numbers are not required (just a guess so be sure to check the state agency that handles these matters).

Fedl documentation is an old -fashioned kind of thing that doesn't mean much any longer.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Thanks - $100 to transfer to my name, and looks like I still pay Registration and Taxes in Michgan, so this takes the place of Title and that is about it.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

In days gone by people used USCG documentation to avoid paying state sales taxes on the purchase of their boat and the use taxes in states that have those. Of course the states got wise to this and cracked down. The requirement in PA is documented vessels have to display the PA renewal sticker (which you can't get unless you pay PA sales tax and the biennial registration fee) but are not required to display state registration numbers. You may hear it's easier to transit internationally, but where are any of us going except maybe Canada for our friends on the Great Lakes? I read somewhere that sometimes lenders want a ship mortgage, but do not know of anyone who had to document just for that reason. Lore has it only documented vessel can fly the yacht ensign, but when it came time for me to buy a flag I couldn't bring myself to fly anything but Old Glory. (And a big one too.)

I've been through the USCG stuff successfully so if you need help let me know. The USCG imposed a $26 renewal fee back in 2014. I would not hesitate to buy a documented boat because the cost and hassle is not too much, but would not go to the trouble to have one documented.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio