Towing skiff

Things that are of general interest.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Towing skiff

Post by Rockxx »

Good Morning all,
It looks like we're finally going to be able to put together a three day trip and plan on heading up the lake for a couple of nights on the hook. On a normal day trip I load my kayak on the swim platform in order to get the family pet to shore for potty breaks but this time I'm planning on towing my 12 ft aluminum v hull with 6 hp Johnson, for that purpose, as well as back up in case of a mechanical problem. Thinking about making a Y harness tied to the back davits but would like any suggestions you might have to offer. I would like to avoid spending a couple of hours getting the skiff to track right.
Regards to all,
Rockxx
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Towing skiff

Post by Fastjeff »

The trick is to tow it far enough behind the boat so it's 'happy' in the wake. Most people leave the OB up though it might track better with it down. You'll have to experiment.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

We tow a 10' inflatable with OB every weekend. I give it enough line to ride behind the fan tail. Typically about 20-25'. I've found using a bridle does not matter. I tie it off on an aft cleat and it finds the center of the fan tail.

Leaving the OB up makes things easier. I found the dinghy wandered side to side with it down.

As Jeff said, trial and error.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Thanks Guys, I'll give it a try. Used to pull a 16' boat behind the house boat but it pushed very little wake.
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee