Just saying

Things that are of general interest.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Just saying

Post by Rockxx »

2016 Maiden voyage this past weekend and as usual, s--t happens. I had a dead cylinder last week so replaced plug wires and plugs as well as new points. Still had the miss but said the heck with it and went anyway. Went up lake 25 miles to our favorite cove and anchored for overnight. Immediately after "parking" wife broke the pump handle off of our basic head (toilet). Now we've got big problems. We had a dock about two miles from the boat so we're able to handle the basics traveling by skiff. Had a nice night, burgers on the gill and all, slept decent, wondering if the anchor would hold. Decided to head back the next morning and with the anchor pulled, the shift cable broke 6" from the transmission, with the boat in reverse. Shut her down, dropped anchor again and with my trusty vice grips, rigged a shift lever on the transmission. Headed back finally with the wife performing shifting duties as needed. Finally made it back on 7 cylinders with the wife shifting And luckily, traffic at our dock was light, as was the wind. Mechanic replaced the cable today, advising that I have low compression on two cylinders. Valve job set for next week. The only way to buy a new handle for the head is by buying a $ 83.00 repair kit. Trying to make one now.

Thanks for listening, just felt like spreading the joy. Damn, I sure missed boating the seven years I was sane.

Safe boating and a good Holiday Weekend to all,

Rockxx
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Just saying

Post by Fastjeff »

I sympathize with you--God how I do!

After going through this nonsense EVERY spring for a decade, I've come to the conclusion that boats take offense at being 'abandoned' all winter--it hurts their feelings, so they take it out on us in the spring.

How else can one explain it?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Guess thats why we call them "our girls"
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Oooooh! You chauvinist, you.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I prefer "realist"
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

I would hate to have count the number of times that I went through the it worked last time, but not today routine.
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast