picture of hull annodes.

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
fighterpilot
Tin star

picture of hull annodes.

Post by fighterpilot »

Going to survey/sea trial 37 sedan next week. Been sitting in a marina for a year and a half since the owner passed away. It would be of help to me if I could see some pictures on what and where the hull annodes were on the 1982 37 sedan. Are they in similar location on the 32s, maybe just shorter. I'm familiar with the round ones on the trim tabs and rudders for fiberglass boats, but are they, also, different on aluminum boats. ?? Any pictures would help. Thanks
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Re: picture of hull annodes.

Post by Maestro »

A 37 should have a long anode bar on each side of the keel. Between 4-5 feet in length. As well as aluminum anodes on the trim tabs and rudders. These could be round or just a flat bar.

Moderate corrosion on the anodes is fine but if they look really chewed up then they need to be replaced.

Plastic boats may use other materials but for a Marinette the anodes are a special aluminum alloy. Here's where to buy them:

http://www.boatzincs.com/marinette-bar.html
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
fighterpilot
Tin star

Post by fighterpilot »

Are they clear down towards the bottom of the keel? How far aft from the bow at the water line intersection as a reference point? Assume, if they haven't all ready eroded away I will recognize them at that length. Are there studs in the hull that they attached to, or recessed threaded holes??
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Here's a pix when I had the bottom blasted and recoated. the anode is covered in tape so it wouldn't get painted.
Keel anodes are attached to the horizontal (essentially level) portion of the keel, a little forward of amidships. They are thru bolted using stainless bolts. That is through a hole drilled in the keel and the anodes. The keel is scraped clean so the anodes make good contact with the keel. Although some put a stainless washer on the bolt between the zinc and the keel. I forget why.
Hope the photo helps
IMG_3450Shrunk.jpg
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
fighterpilot
Tin star

Post by fighterpilot »

Great picture and description. Thanks a lot. It will be interesting to see what is on the bottom of the boat in question after being in the water at a marina with no use. When the man bought the boat in 2013 there was a survey and the bottom was painted. He passed away Dec. 2015 and, as I understand it, nothing done since then. Thanks
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Replacing my zincs this weekend, bought them directly from Marinette, they claim theirs are the only ones that are the true alloy, would love to hear from others on this. Mine had sat in a marina for a number of years because of owner health issues and although it ran well dormancy took its toll, inspect carefully.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

When/how did you buy zincs from Marinette? thought they had gone out of business since the owner had health issues (still alive?). THey had appropriate ones for both fresh and salt water for sale.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Just received the zincs via US Mail last week, also purchased a set of Struts with bearings installed about a month ago. Seems the owners father is running the business and yes he the son is still alive. Reading between the lines I got the impression things are not to good with the son. The number I reached him at was 619-208-6458.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

glad to hear that -- the son (John Althouse) bought out a very large and varied inventory of genuine Marinette parts and other stock. You could save yourself a lot of aggravation by checking here when you are in the market for parts for M's
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD