Number of Boats' built ?

Things that are of general interest.
robalo220
Tin star

Re: Number of Boats' built ?

Post by robalo220 »

bcassedy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 am One other note on the demise of the Marinette brand. The company originally was making airplanes during WWII. Once the war ended, the factory at Standiford field in Louisville (a hanger) was converted to building Big M's. Eventually, Standiford expanded and the company was going to be booted from their then location to make way for airport improvements. It was then, as mentioned by Joe above, that the recession played a significant part in the sale of the brand to the houseboat company in Tenn. And I believe the "luxury boat" tax imposed by the feds at the time also was a major contributor. There were a large number of boat makers who went belly up because they couldn't move their product.

Bill

Bill, spot on about the airport expansion in Louisville. Aluminum Cruisers lost their lease on the Hanger where the Big M's were being built. Supposedly HouseBoat Corp of America which changed their name to Boating Corp of America after purchasing Marinette looked at options for plant opportunities in both Louisville and Tennessee. They felt it was a better business decision to bring the Big M manufacturing to Tennessee beside their Harbormaster Houseboat Production to save costs. I heard they only brough two or 3 people from production in Louisville. There are really no good records....
Yes the economy crash and luxury tax killed many many pleasure craft manufacturers
John

1991 41 Marquis Convertible "Running on Water"
454 Crusaders
robalo220
Tin star

Post by robalo220 »

barkleydave wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 am
Pluckerbaum in Louisville is still in production and builds in my opinion the best quality luxury Aluminum boats in the world!

$$$ but look how long our Ms have been on the water and still going strong !

If you have the means and are let's say in your 40's buying a new Plucker would be the last yacht you would ever have to own.
Feast your eyes on these!!! Aluminum Cruisers were good friends with Plucker and many constructions practices were similar.

http://www.pluckebaum.com/

safe boating,
dave
Correction Dave. Dennis Pluckebaum hasn't build a boat in several years. He only does maintenance on Plucky's anymore. The economy crash in the early 90's killed his business as well. He would build a boat for you but no one has requested one in years. I wish he was still manufacturing them. Great boats. Cost would likely be crazy today.
John

454 Crusaders
robalo220
Tin star

Post by robalo220 »

David wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:53 pm Hi, I recently purchased a 1985 39’ sedan bridge ... I see a number of the aft. Cabin models, but does anyone know how many of the 39’s were built?

Thanks!
David
From what I understand, there were never really any good records of numbers of boats and models built. I did read an article from the early 1970's that they built around 200 Big M's per year. This information was in an article about their 41' Houseboat which they built very few of.
John

454 Crusaders
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

John

What I wrote is what I learned from this forum years ago. Having worked for American Airlines (a lifetime ago???) here in 'Zinzinnati' I had some airline contacts in Louisville who corroborated the story. Just goes to show you, what you learn thru this forum is gold, and it's best to pass that knowledge on to others as they become acquainted with BigM 's!

Now, if my children just follow thru on that nugget... :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Seen lots of 37's, mine being one. I have only seen one 39 sedan bridge, a fella that would come to the Great Lakes Marinette Rendezvous on Lake Erie, had one with red trim. I knew he was planning on selling. Is that the one you bought? I believe her name was "Right Time".
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
robalo220
Tin star

Post by robalo220 »

bcassedy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:16 am John

What I wrote is what I learned from this forum years ago. Having worked for American Airlines (a lifetime ago???) here in 'Zinzinnati' I had some airline contacts in Louisville who corroborated the story. Just goes to show you, what you learn thru this forum is gold, and it's best to pass that knowledge on to others as they become acquainted with BigM 's!

Now, if my children just follow thru on that nugget... :lol: :lol:

Bill
Bill
agree 120%!
John

454 Crusaders
David
New poster

Post by David »

Thanks guys for the info, I own a 39’ sedan Bridge with twin crusaders model 350/454s in Atlanta, ga named Miss Cleo
David
New poster

Post by David »

john, or anyone on this cool forum... what can I expect fuel wise from my 454’s per hour... I have yet to take my boat out for a run as I have been making repairs... Ian I correct in assuming it gets better fuel mileage than fiberglass?... thank you
David
New poster

Number of boats built / fuel fog?

Post by David »

john, or anyone on this cool forum... what can I expect fuel wise from my 454’s per hour... I have yet to take my boat out for a run as I have been making repairs... Ian I correct in assuming it gets better fuel mileage than fiberglass?... thank you
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

12 to 15 gph/ engine at cruising speed.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington