For those into nostalgia !

javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

For those into nostalgia !

Post by javalin390 »

Pretty excited ! Just got my package from boatbrocures.com . They still have original Marinette sales brochures, but supplies are dwindling. The brochures for the 41' Maquis are sold out but it looks like they still have others left. The package included an original, single page price & option list for the 1981 37' and another three page price & option list for the entire 1984 line-up !! Here is just one example...base price for the all time favorite, best selling 32' sedan, with twin Chrysler small blocks Starts at $56,130 :o and that's before any options !! The 39' Double cabin, that year, base price comes in at just under 100,000 grand !! ($98,990). That may not seem like a lot by today's standards, but I can tell you from my life experience, while starting my mechanics career at the local Chevrolet/Oldsmobile Dealership, in 1984, a new Cutlass Supreme, loaded with all the bells and whistles, listed for around $12,000 and a bare bones, no option Chevy S-10 ran around 3,500 bucks ! My how time flies...

https://boatbrochure.com/collections/ma ... e-brochure
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: For those into nostalgia !

Post by jralbert »

Applying the rate of inflation to that $56-thousand boat, in today's dollar it would price at $142,088.31. Extras are extra. Sign right here, please
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

If you thought the inflation rate was high before, just you wait!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I didn't say it was high. But 84 to now is a loooong time. Inflation comes and inflation goes.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Look for it to go sky high, and soon. The Fed can't keep printing money.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Thanks for the nostalgia.

A list price of $150k in 2021 for a new 32 sedan would be a bargain. A new similar sized Regal is double that and a Tiara triple.

I remember those brochures from the 1970s--they changed the layout of the 32 sedan in the late 70s, but the pictures of the other boats were the same for about a decade. My uncle purchased a 1970 28 express in '72 and a new 32' sedan in 1979. He had the 32 for over twenty years and it held up well. Those boats were worth every penny.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Fastjeff wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:10 pm Look for it to go sky high, and soon. The Fed can't keep printing money.

Jeff
I hope you realize the Fed doesn't just "print" money. With no backing. They print money paid for with federal bonds. As long as they can find a buyer to loan them money, they can do that. Paying it back later is another problem.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Printing money is just a figure of speech, and I to think of whom we'll be begging for additional loans. (Think China!)

Jeff
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
HELLO,
Has everyone gone into hibernation? :lol:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

At 2° here in Cincy, hibernation doesn't sound like a horrible idea...
Last Wednesday it was 60° and I spent the day down at SS2 attending to items on the surveyors "must do" list. Whittling it down. Big 'gulp' is finding the Sea-Fire E-350 engine room extinguisher (last attended to in the late 80's <when placed in boat!>) can't be re-certified (per manufacturer). Replacing with Fireboy automatic/manual 400 cu ft unit. VERY HARD to shell out best price of 900.00 Inc shipping & hazardous mat'l surcharge. 🙄

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.