Brand new Big M owner here...questions about trailering...

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
DocGil
New poster

Brand new Big M owner here...questions about trailering...

Post by DocGil »

Hey all, I just bought a 1968 28' Marinette and although I've seen it several times (it's an hour and a half away and I need to put new rubber on the trailer) I never noticed until drooling over the pics tonight that there is nothing for the winch to connect to. I've been around boats all my life, but not this size and I'm wondering if this is normal? Should I run a line from my bow cleats to the winch to secure it?

There are no such things as stupid questions; just stupid people that ask questions...and I'm feeling dumb! LOL

I'll attach a pic...she's a dirty girl...for now- I'm going to make an honest woman out of her. :D
Attachments
FRONT-ABOVE.jpg
BOW-STARBOARD.jpg
Brand new owner of a 1968 28' Marinette. Radford, VA with my primary lake being Claytor Lake and 2 hours from Lake Norman or Smith Mountain Lake. More to follow. :D
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Brand new Big M owner here...questions about trailering...

Post by TinLizzy »

I have used 2 inch ratchet straps off of the mid cleats, it lets the boat pivot more as you come out of the water. Attach them wherever you can around the trailer tongue. It also works nice for keeping it straight while loading onto the trailer.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

A line from the fwd cleats to the hitch, will help prevent backwards slide but probably not much help for side to side motion. A series of side straps to the cleats fwd, mid ship and aft will do that. Marinette never put a bow eye on its boats which was curious. Did they think that the smaller ones would not be trailered? Looks that way
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
DocGil
New poster

Post by DocGil »

Thank you both for the replies! I was a bit concerned when I noticed there was no bow eye. I'm also scratching my head at the bow mounted drain plug. I'd have sank the first time I went out had the previous owner not told me!
Brand new owner of a 1968 28' Marinette. Radford, VA with my primary lake being Claytor Lake and 2 hours from Lake Norman or Smith Mountain Lake. More to follow. :D
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM

DocGil » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:37 pm

" I'm also scratching my head at the bow mounted drain plug. I'd have sank the first time I went out had the previous owner not told me!"

The reason the drain plug is at the bow is that when your Marinette is setting in the water the hull is lower in front that why there is a bilge pump in that area.

When storing on land either on the hard or trailer don't make the mistake of storing your Marinette bow high.
Place level on the swim platform or floor of the Marinette and try an set it level. :shock:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

I trailered around a 28 express for quite a few years, take it from me and install a bow eye, it takes maybe an afternoon to maybe 6-8 hours of work to install and you will not regret it. Time to install depends on how fussy you want to be on the looks of it
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
DocGil
New poster

Post by DocGil »

Seef158 I was actually thinking of posting that question. Thanks for confirming my thoughts! Edit: I was also thinking about putting stern eye's in so that I can easier strap it down. Thoughts anyone?
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

" I was also thinking about putting stern eye's in so that I can easier strap it down. Thoughts anyone? "
Do you have cleats on the stern? They are what most people use.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

IMG_4904.jpg
Here's how I strap it down.
Here is the Bow eye I made. Welded it on.
Bow eye2.jpg
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
DocGil
New poster

Post by DocGil »

Wow. That is beautiful. I am actually planning on painting mine a dark blue and now I know it will look awesome.

I am thinking finding a good aluminum welder near me is a must. Either that or learning to weld aluminum myself.

Thanks for posting!