Nightmare

Things that are of general interest.
info4all
Tin star

Nightmare

Post by info4all »

I got a call tonight from the dock. They said my boat has sunk into the water. She is a 32' Sedan from 1976 and was nearly completely updated. Until lately she remained dry as a bone when docked. In the winter I had 3 heaters, 2 in the bilge and one in the cabin. I checked on her just after Christmas and noticed someone unplugged her from shore power, but other than that everything looked amazing. No one knows what happened, they suspect ice may have puncture the hull and perhaps the 2 bilge pumps couldn't keep up. The recovery crew will be out tomorrow. I haven't been very active hear since I first signed up, but I just felt like I needed to let the community know.

I have no idea what I am going to do. I am open to advice, ideas, and recommendations.

I know I had insurance on her, but I can't recall how much or what is covered in the policy. I called the insurance company and left a message. I expect I will be hearing from them in the morning. Fingers crossed I made good decisions when I originally setup the insurance.

Thank you,
David
Louisville, KY
1976 32' Sedan
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Nightmare

Post by bcassedy »

It is possible that the bilge area might have gotten so cold (were there heaters in the bilge area?) that a thru hull froze and cracked, allowing water to enter.
Hopefully, the damage isn't extensive or irreparable. You might consider the purchase and placement of a bubbler at one end of the boat. Controlling it with an outdoor thermostat -AND- timer will keep the area around the boat ice free at a reasonable monthly electric cost. A 1/2hp bubbler should do well.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

That is a nightmare.

If you don't have a hard copy of your insurance policy you can likely look it up online. I'd get my agent involved (despite lower rates from the likes of GEICO, I have an agent so there's someone I know personally who can help.)

Someone at the marina should have called the Coast Guard because the U.S. EPA, KY DOR et.al., will want to supervise the environmental remediation. I'd do that first to avoid any criminal penalties.

The insurance company should investigate, but I'd be out there taking pictures and interviewing witnesses (I'm an attorney so that comes naturally) in case there's someone to sue for this. (Such as the evildoer who unplugged the shore power or the marina for failing to keep the power on or nefarious characters from wandering onto the dock.)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
info4all
Tin star

Post by info4all »

Thank you for the support.

The marina has contacted the Army COE to address environmental concerns. My insurance agent was on top of things this morning. They are keeping it under water until the recovery team is ready to pull it out for inspection and repair. Apparently since this is fresh water it is better than surfacing it right away and exposing it to air and potentially increasing rust inside the motor.

The insurance company covers recovery and inspection. I am probably under insured for all the work I put into the boat, but whatever I get will help. At this time I plan to have the boat fixed and back on the water this year.

BCassedy, I had 2 bilge heaters, but they were in the back in the engine bay. I had not heard of a bubbler, but that is something to consider. I am also considering a dry dock for my slip.

Rockit, I wish there was someone to sue for this. I may need to install cameras after this incident, which I hate because I go to the boat to get away from technology.

Again, thanks for the support
David
Louisville, KY
1976 32' Sedan
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

I agree with Bill, that a Through hull fitting probably froze and broke. Very unlikely icy punctured the hull. If a fitting froze and broke off, more water comes in than you could pump out with a couple smaller bilge pumps. I would think the marina would have someone looking over all the boats when freezing weather is in the forecast, but I guess it all depends on the marina.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Good thing you are insured -- your insurer's surveyor should have skill to track down cause and you'll both proceed from there. I agree hull itself not likely punctured but a fitting may have broken away.
I had a severe ice encounter the first year of ownership. I was ill with pneumonia as a deep freeze set in and the freshwater creek where the boat was docked froze solid almost from bank to bank. I owned a bubbler but didn't set it up because we'd been having a mild winter. Until! When I was able to get to the marina, the boat was surrounded by ice -- locked in. But a few slips away, the neighboring boater had a bubbler going and I think that prevented a total freezeup. The warmer water drifted into all directions. My boat was not damaged in any way. Bubblers are good devices and also, your engine compartment heater probably kept the hull just warm enough to ward off some damage. So, what transpired is for the surveyor to discover.
Bubblers (and other warming devices) are not a guarantee because power can fail as can the devices themselves. Putting a boat on the hard is a better option.
Wishing you well as you recover from the damage.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Personally--and living hours away from my marina--i never left her in the water all winter.

I hope you get out of this okay.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
info4all
Tin star

Post by info4all »

I am 2 hours from the boat, so that has also made this difficult. All I can do now is learn and determine how to move forward. I am considering a dry dock for the slip. Many other boat owners have them at this marina, though I have never seen one for a marinette. Any thoughts? Again, thanks for the support.
David
Louisville, KY
1976 32' Sedan
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

I've never seen a "dry dock". Our marinas take the boats out of the water and store them on land (The Hard) on jack stands for the winter. Some brave souls leave their boats in and use bubblers to keep the water moving. Winter storage here is about $500.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

I would assume that they lift the boat in the slip when Info4all talks about dry dock, but I'm not completely sure.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior