New here

Things that are of general interest.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: New here

Post by bcassedy »

I've used a product called Soft Scrub (commercial strength). Works great in the head and since it has bleach, it brightens up the outside surfaces as well.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Supersport18
Tin star

Post by Supersport18 »

1986 Sedan Flybridge
Twin 318 closed loop
" Little Martha"
Traverse City,Mi
Hydraulic Steering (both helms)
Autopilot (both helms)
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

Mike and Barbie :D

Great Signature :)

I use this product and it works very well for me.
:idea: Amazon has the best price. :!:

"Orpine Wash & Wax"

It makes Mr. :mrgreen: disappear and adds a little wax to the paint.

Good Luck
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Thank you everyone for your advice and helpful info. Loved the article too Supersport18. Bill looked that up looks like it is a good price! :)
1970 28' express single 318
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
It only takes a few Nautical miles to make me a happy man! :D
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

seef158 wrote:I also just bought a 28 express, single 318 that has been sitting for about 3.5 years. I brought home, put generous amounts of marvel in each cylinder and let it sit for 2 days. After sitting for those 2 days I cranked the engine over before reinstalling the plugs to make sure I got oil pressure up. It also helped to expel some of the marvel oil. It was a little messy but oh well, I put the same plugs back in and it fired up on a little fuel down the carb to get the pump primed. 10 hours run time into the year I found a few hoses that leaked that I replaced along with a bad circulating pump and I put a raw water impeller in as maintenance. I keep a spare dist. cap, rotor, plugs and coil in the boat.
I could take some photos of the back side of my dash if that would help, shoot me your email. Mine is a1978 if that matters as far as wiring and instruments.

Did you do anything with your fuel system before you started your engine?
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Welcome aboard Boatin2!! There are a lot of good guys and gals on this forum! Hopefully you will get to enjoy your new project soon.

After reading lots of boating forums, the two best boat soaps are Orpine Wash & Wax (as Bill mentioned) and Woody Wax boat soap http://www.amazon.com/Woody-Wax-Boat-So ... +boat+soap. These soaps go a long way so don't let the price turn you off. I personally would use Woody if it were me.

Another great product that works like a champ, is well proven, makes a white deck sparkle, removes spider dung and black streaks is Black streak remover (does not remove wax!) http://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Instan ... ak+remover

As on many other forums this always opens up a can of worms....DO NOT USE Clorox or dish washing liquid on a waxed boat. If your boat is not waxed use what you want. If you work hard on a wax job be very careful of what you use, as many products remove wax. Watch the marina boat washers as they use clorox and cheap soaps that will strip wax...so they can wax your boat sooner :oops: :lol:

Good luck :ugeek:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Rob
Tin star

Post by Rob »

Welcome, soap w bleach on the cheap works great from a spray bottle. Be careful and don't slip. I also use a little electric preasure washer that works great less than a $100 and less scrubbing.
1973 32' FB Express
Cincinnati, Ohio
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

"Awesome" from the dollar store will remove the black streaks, clean fenders etc & it's CHEAP!
Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

:D Hi I would be very careful about using any product that has bleach in it. I know works well on the green stuff and most stains but the chlorine is a strong oxidizer and very hard most of the boats surfaces. I use" marine clean" to clean on my boat nearly everywhere and its green friendly. It will take off grease, stains and wax but won't harm the surface. I even use it to scrub the bottom of the boat prior to re-painting.
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice. Would these cleansers be good on the helm decking as well?
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.