Alcohol / Electric Stove

Things that are of general interest.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Alcohol / Electric Stove

Post by Busia »

"I currently have both shafts out, waiting to bring to machine shop to see if they can be straightened. I have two new cutless bearings ordered, aligning engines with a borrowed laser aligner."...On the shafts: are you sure they are bent? ( use some fishing line to check them) if they are bent, price making new ones. That can be cheaper and better. Aligning the engine with the shaft and cutless, you will find it easier and much more accurate to use some fishing line to align them. Very poor accuracy with a laser for that short of a distance. A laser is fine for longer distances and where a bigger tolerance is acceptable. I've written here before how to check a shaft. E-mail me if you want more info.--Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Yes, they were both bent. Being that it was five years ago since I started this thread, I had them straightened, and also ordered two new ones a couple of years ago. I should have gone that route to start off with, they charged me three times what they quoted to get them straightened, and I don't think they got them within the .005" they had claimed. I ended up going with new double taper shafts with new couplers to fit the double taper.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
JvilleJeff
New poster

Post by JvilleJeff »

Shoot, I'm going to have to take this into consideration... will start researching into Origos
JvilleJeff
New poster

Post by JvilleJeff »

Looks like Origos have been discontinued for some time...
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Jville, what size boat do you have? The cheapest option might be to just use a coleman propane stove as needed, or I have seen they make some compact butane stoves as well. These would be portable options and would not be the answer if you are looking for a permanent one.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
coastie1160870
Tin star

Post by coastie1160870 »

I sold the 32 Express last fall and got a 32 sedan/bridge, it has a alcohol/electric stove with a metal cover over it. I put my combonation toaster oven/coffee maker/ grill top, on the metal cover, and use a two burner hot plate to cook with, if not using the rail mount gas grill on the aft deck, or the big gas grill on the party deck, on shore.. I don't know what I'm going to do when we get underway on the great loop, and I won't have the big grill.. Guess I'll get use to the small one....
R.A. Campbell
32 Sedan-Bridge
260 Chrysler Twins
" KOKOMO "
CapnGary
Tin star

Post by CapnGary »

I had a Kenyon butane single burner stove on a Macgregor that worked great. Then I bought a portable one. 1 burner. Now when we make coffee, need a frying pan, etc, when on anchor, we use that. The 2 burner stove on the 32' M uses a lot of electric, like a microwave. The alcohol portion of that, works when it wants to, and I got fed up with it, and quit using it.
YOu might consider the portable butane stove. It's small, relatively inexpensive, easy to store, and the butane cans are fairly available at hardware stores.
my 2 cents,
Capn Gary
32' FB
Milton, Fl
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I had the original alcohol stove in mine; used it ONCE and nearly set the curtains on fire. Ripped it out and used the spot for storage with an electric stove deal atop.

If I had to do it again, however, I'd used a small propane grill. I have one for cooking my steaks and it works great. The little canisters last a long time and are getting cheaper all the time.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington