NMEA 2000 network

Things that are of general interest.
MyWay
Tin star

NMEA 2000 network

Post by MyWay »

Has anyone used NMEA fuel flow meters and tachometers ? I think this could help with fuel savings !
MyWay ( grandpa bought it and named it
Just trying to get it to a 4th generation)
32 SFB Holland,MI
TWIN 318's
Currently in Aurora Indiana
Lighthouse Point Yacht Club
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: NMEA 2000 network

Post by barkleydave »

Looks like you are trying to justify a new toy. Flo meters are pretty cool once you get them setup and calibrated.

The reality is your can figure approx. 1.2-1.6 MPG average on our twins 28-32. I think the 32's with the 1:5-1 and larger wheels does better than the 1:1 transmissions. 28 with single is probably the most efficient of the bunch.

Now you want to run WOT all bets are off.... mine will burn 12 gph per engine.... ouch!

I am sure there are others with other opinions and can provide more information on the cost and installation of the meters.

Safe moorings,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

I would go with the flow meters and skip the tachs if your planning on the NMEA 2000, I don't think the tachs are compatible with our old engines. I am hoping to add a set of floscan gauges to mine in the coming future. Take a look at there website, they have combo flow meters/tachometers/hour meters. They are spendy but nice.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
MyWay
Tin star

Post by MyWay »

How did you come up with the mpg do you have meters . And yes new toy sure is fun to build new things!
32 SFB Holland,MI
TWIN 318's
MyWay
Tin star

Post by MyWay »

Planing a trip or 2 down river this year it will be nice to get the most speed/fuel economy I can.
32 SFB Holland,MI
TWIN 318's
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

My FloScan paid for itself in a year (or less).

Jeff

PS: Am I the only one who thinks the new "Starwars" movie was lousy?
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Running the river with day marks and charts makes it pretty simple to figure MPG. Your consumption is dependent on many factors, Load, sea conditions, speed, etc etc etc. I do keep track of the hours run and fuel used. At the end of the season I always do the math and after 10 years of running my current M MPG has been very constant in the 1.4-1.6 range for the season.

I seldom run over 2,500 rpms and spend most of my cruising off plan in the 1,700 range or less. I am in no hurry and even run on one engine at times. It saves some fuel but not as much as one would expect running on one. Lots more drag with one just along for the ride. I pick up about .3 of a MPG with a fresh clean bottom but sure does not stay that way long.

Flo meters are great if your are having a problem with a carb. Would be interesting to start a pole to see how many a running meters.

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
MyWay
Tin star

Post by MyWay »

So is your floscan a NMEA 2000 compatible . Or is it a stanaloan unit? What are the stats after you installed?
32 SFB Holland,MI
TWIN 318's
MyWay
Tin star

Post by MyWay »

Most of my running is at about 1500 to 1700 . This is my 1 st year with the boat as mine so learning a lot and doing lots of repairs .
32 SFB Holland,MI
TWIN 318's
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Installed a Floscan system on our 32'er 4 years ago. I'm getting around 1.5mpg running at around 1700 to 1900 RPM with 1.5:1 trannies. Put in a combo unit which takes the place of one of the old tachs on the lower station. (used the other tach hole to mount a remote module for the inverter). I wish Floscan had a dual system to mount up on the upper station as well but alas, t'ain't so. So I'm going to put in a dual gauge capable gas tank sending unit ( http://wemausa.3dcartstores.com/Multi-t ... p_126.html ) and install a single gas gauge w/ a on-off-on toggle switch to keep track of fuel left in tanks. The stats part (fuel burn per hour, etc) I'll get from the lower station.

Tried the "run on 1 engine" idea a few years ago but felt the drag from the non-running engine/prop wasn't making a major difference...

... now, if I could figure a way to "feather" the prop(s) such as a plane has, maybe then .... :lol:

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.