What prop puller to purchase/ reccomendation for prop shop nearest to se ohio

Things that are of general interest.
Aquaholic
Tin star

What prop puller to purchase/ reccomendation for prop shop nearest to se ohio

Post by Aquaholic »

Good day! The props on 32 M Sedan are both slightly bent and obviously causing vibration. Upon getting it on land this fall i attempted to remove them without a puller (used hammer and a wood block). Two questions. I see many different pullers online; what is the proper one I should buy? Once I get them off, eccomendations for shops to re pitch? I'm not certain if shipping them somewhere makes sense/is most economical way for me to go.
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: What prop puller to purchase/ reccomendation for prop shop nearest to se ohio

Post by bcassedy »

I picked up a 3 size set of pullers from Harbor Freight. The biggest one in the set enabled me to pull the props from my 32'.
http://www.harborfreight.com/three-jaw- ... 69105.html
As to a prop shop in your area, can't offer any advice. In SW Ohio, I recommend Delta Propellor - Address: 145 S Miami Ave, Cleves, OH 45002
Phone:(513) 467-0601. Many folks in the area use them.
http://www.deltaprop.com

Bill
Last edited by bcassedy on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Aquaholic
Tin star

Re: What prop puller to purchase/ reccomendation for prop shop nearest to se ohio

Post by Aquaholic »

Thank you Bill. Our local Harbor Freight does carry that puller set. Definitely worth a try for that price!
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I also have used a 3 jaw puller like that. You may have to heat the prop also. Don't pull so hard that the puller damages the prop. If that doesn't work the next step is a dedicated prop puller. Made one from 2 circles of 3/4 steel plate, both with 3 holes 120 degrees apart. One with a keyhole notch sized to go over the prop shaft. ( 1 inch for mine ) Then 3 bolts or allthread and nuts to squeeze the plates together. I used 1/2 inch allthread, would recommend 5/8 inch. You can call me at 907-617-7832 if you want. Some props are hard to get off, you may need heat and a hammer still. --Good luck, Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
newendeavor
Tin star

Post by newendeavor »

Be careful when dealing with the Prop Shops. I have inquired if they braise new metal on ends of damaged props to maintain the correct diameter and were told they do. I began to wonder as I used the same Shop for 20 years and changed to a new Vendor with a laser alignment system. He called and advised that my Props were cut down from 21in diameter to 19in ! It's easier to grind down than build them out to original size.
You can imagine my steam level when I called the original shop and was told that was normal practice. They never sent a printed report or said a word. I had wondered why my boat performance had fallen off over the years and thought my engines were tired ! Now my Props go to Florida.
New Endeavor
1991 41ft Aft Cabin
Louisville,Ohio River
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Post by balthaus »

I don't mean to hijack the thread but....
New Endeavor, what prop shop in Florida are you using?
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
newendeavor
Tin star

Post by newendeavor »

blathers, suggest you contact www.tcproscan.com for a quote first and discuss. It can be pricey. There is a shop in Clarksville, In called Tuckers Landing Propeller that I used for my smaller Props. He only has molds or "forms" up to 18in. It's all done by hand but he always did the wheels for my old 26 and 32ft Boats. Good craftsman, would save you lot's. Try 812-283-4500.
New Endeavor
1991 41ft Aft Cabin
Louisville,Ohio River
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

NewEndeavor,
Great info. Would you post that info into the Vendors section?

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.