Dingy Talk

Things that are of general interest.
nascarjonb
Tin star

Dingy Talk

Post by nascarjonb »

I am considering buying a dingy to ferry me and my wife to the beach, and also to ferry my dog to shore when nature calls. I want a very small 9 foot dingy with a small outboard or electric motor. (less then 5 HP). The real question i have is How to mount this to either the transom swim platform, or up front on top of the deck.

does anyone have experience with this? if so can you post some pictures?
1986 28 fisherman
twin chryser 360's
Marblehead, Ohio
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Dingy Talk

Post by bcassedy »

I purchased a used 8' Walker Bay http://www.westmarine.com/buy/walker-ba ... 00_001_506 with the same intention. I like the hard side type dinghy over an inflatible. I also picked up a used Suzuki 2.5HP motor for it. The boat weighs out at 74 lbs and the motor at 30. I did quite a bit of research on the motor and Suzuki seems to be the best of the small HP motors. I'd looked at a 10' Walker Bay but its capacity wasn't much more than the 8' and it will work better on the back end of the boat.

I've designed and am building a set of davits to put on the back of the boat. The davits are to be made of 1" SS tube in a double tube, inverted "L" configuration. I'll cut sections of 1" teak to fill the bend of the "L" plus at the ends where the 2 tubes meet. To ensure stiffness and stability I'll put 1 more section along the vertical and horizontal runs. Each of the pieces will be routed with a concave bit to give a tighter fit between the 2 pieces of SS tube (which were welded together at each end) NOTE - if you build one this way, ensure you slip on a 1" SS fitting for the longest section. This will be used to support the davit from the railing vertical support. This will leave some spaces where there'll be no filler block, for aesthetics and to help keep costs down. Each of the davits will be mounted to the swim platform at the forward edges, just off one of the supports for the platform. I'll attach each to the base of the rear railing mounts using a short section using a short section of SS tube. The 8' length of the dinghy will allow for usage of the swim platform's ladder unencumbered. The design will allow the dinghy to be suspended from the davits in such a way so to not block the view of someone sitting in a chair in the cockpit area nor to obscure the boat's name. Basically, it'll be right in front of the skirting around the cockpit. Raising and lowering the dinghy will be accomplished using a block and tackle set up. I might incorporate a small 12v anchor raise/lower unit down the road.

To finish each of the davits off, I'm going to affix a 7" brass fouled anchor plaque on each side of the teak sections in the curve of the davit. http://www.brassbinnacle.com/Merchant2/ ... gory_Code=

One note of caution... Unless you'll have a cover for the dinghy, you'll want to make sure that it has a drain hole that's left open when suspended to allow for rain water to run out. The 1" SS double tube set up can hold a good bit of weight, but not a dinghy that's full of water...

... oh, and remember to put the plug back in before dropping it into the water. :P

Don't have any pictures at the moment. Can do so in the next few weeks.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Being me, I went bananas with what began as a simple dingy, ending up with a 9 foot speedboat with a 70 hp Merc on the back. So be careful!

Jeff
Attachments
AAA.JPG
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Jeff was kind enough to post pics on the old site of the dinghy build. Was great. And he posted post-completion pics of the dinghy in action. It screamed thru the water... !

... he stopped short of mounting wings on it...

... the FAA would've made him get a pilot's license!
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Actually, it was kinda slow--only 45 mph. But she handled rough water amazingly well.

With my Marinette now gone, I'll (hopefully) be building a new, no compromise, tunnel hull this winter.

Stay tuned!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Anybody want a fast dingy, google Yukon 800
they only have 50hp but go pretty good
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

One of our members had one of those tunnel hull-like inflatables, about an 11 footer as I recall. (I think it's called a DUX.) Very impressive! Fast and amazingly stable. We went from our big Ms to supper using it one night--at least a 1/2 dozen of us--and it was solid as a rock.

Jeff