Handling around the dock

Things that are of general interest.
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Handling around the dock

Post by martindesign »

After running my 32 express for a little over a season now and really having no problems I had a "first time crew" last weekend. We tried getting into a gas dock with a light wind blowing us away. I've never had a problem before cause once I got her there I've always had someone to help tie us off. So trying to hold her against the dock alone with just power even with a very slight wind was impossible for me. It bothered me so much that I took her out today and played for an hour or so and came to realize. I cannot paddlewheel or walk this boat sideways in the slightest bit. Let alone upwind. Any tricks that worked on all my previous boats did either the opposite or nothing on this boat. Anyone have problems like this? Is it just because of the keel? Or have I just forgotten how to run a boat? :?
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
mrmike1964

Re: Handling around the dock

Post by mrmike1964 »

It's funny you say that. I had the same this happen to me this last weekend. I thought it was just me and I forgot how. :geek:
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Your not alone..... These boats have too much above the water and too little below, in my opinion. They are like an Aluminum sail, at least the sedan models.
Only way I've found is to use spring line if you can get close enough to the dock to throw the line and have enough room to maneuver against the line.
The stern swings out so fast its nearly impossible to dock against a stiff wind.

In calm conditions these boats can thread a needle but a little wind changes everything.

-Karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Thx guys. That puts my mind at rest a bit. Boat really is a pleasure around the docks and responds great but even just a light breeze in the wrong direction gives me the pucker factor in a tight marina. I guess it'll just take more practice and knowing my limits.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

The way I teach my USCG Aux boating course students to handle this is with a spring line. To wit: Angle your boat up to the dock (about a 30 degree angle). Grab a piling or cleat and tie the bow to it with the spring line from a bow cleat to the dock LOOSELY attached. Select reverse (using the outer engine only with twins). Let the boat rotate around until it touches the dock, then tie off the stern.

Leaving the doc (with the wind and or current opposing you) is the reverse of the docking ritual: Let go aft, reverse the INNER engine (with twins), wait 'til the stern swings out, then let go the forward spring line.

Of course, this requires an adept line handler.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

On my buddies 370 sea ray I can walk it right to the dock and hold it against the wind without any lines, i would go out alone on that boat anytime, the marinette, not so much. I guess the last sentence in ur post sums it up for the marinette Jeff.
Catawba Oh
thanksdad

Post by thanksdad »

Jeff's post is right on the mark but takes practice. You can also add a bump of opposite engine forward to hold your place if you begin to drift fore or aft of your desired position. Be cautious not to put too much strain on your cleats and always make sure your line handlers have secured their lines before beginning the maneuver. Can make for a fun afternoon practicing this!

Scott
Scott Ross
Thanks Dad
1988 32 Fisherman
Sandusky, Ohio
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

SeaRay 370 SD -vs- 39 Marinette Sedan. I have had both boats in recent years and at the same time for a while, I would ten times rather run the Marinette alone due to the ability to move around the boats gunwales so easily and making it easier to handle lines. I lock through alone in my 39 at will. Just an overall opinion and not contesting the walking sideways in the wind comment.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

It might not work in the conditions you describe, but I've made my old 28 to go sideways by throwing the wheel in the opposite direction and using the shift levers. For example, if you want to go to starboard, give it left full rudder put your port engine ahead and the starboard in reverse. You may have to bump in and out of gear. I recommend practicing this technique away from the dock before you try it in close quarters.

And remember, there is no shame in going around again.

I knew better, but had first hand experience with Jeff's suggestion when I brought her from the ramp to the dock last season. The wind was blowing off the dock. I was on the boat alone and no one was on the dock to help. I landed and (dummy alert) put the stern line on first. (Last year I docked on the port side.) She rapidly swung to starboard and the rail got caught underneath the anchor of the boat behind me. (I really could not tell exactly how that happened.) I did my impression of the incredible hulk holding the boats apart until I was able to untie the stern line, push the BigM forward until the rail was clear of the anchor and get her underway. I came around and landed again this time tying the forward spring line first. Luckily there was no damage to either boat. And no witnesses to embarrass me. Of course I told the guy behind me to double check his boat for damage, but he couldn't find any either.

Whew. I'm not going through that again. Love those spring lines.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."Luckily there was no damage to either boat. And no witnesses to embarrass me. "

That is NOT usually the case! As I tell my boating course students, if you make a perfect landing no one will see you, but if you screw up--come in too fast and smash into the dock....Yankee Stadium!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington