Fuel System Restoration: Tanks to Carbs...

Corrosion, Paint, Through Hulls, etc.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Fuel System Restoration: Tanks to Carbs...

Postby Fastjeff » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:20 am

And you won't! That's the whole idea.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington

jralbert
Site Admin

Postby jralbert » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:37 pm

Fastjeff wrote:When I changed the gages in mine, I deliberately set them up so there was at least 10 gallons of gas in the tanks on 'E'. Jeff
Jeff..for the benefit of those who may want to do the same thing but don't know how, could you share the procedure for adjusting the gauges.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:20 pm

The capacity of a fuel tank, whether it is square or round is easily calculated using a "Tank Volume Calculator" link found online through a Google search. I measured my rectangular tanks length, width and height and input those measurements into one of these programs and it spit out 75 gallons. Once I removed my Aft deck I had access to the informational placards welded onto the tops of the two tanks from the manufacturer, I found the capacity listed as 75 gallons, confirming the calculator was correct. The new sending units come universally long in length in the package from the manufacturer. When preparing to install new sending units you have to carefully measure the depth of the tank, taking into consideration the width of the gasket between the sending unit and the top of the tank as well, for me that was 1/4" but I wanted to set it up with great care and confidence so even a 1/4" was included in my calculation. The sending unit inside of the tank is a mechanical/electrical mechanism with an articulating mechanical arm, a float on the end of this arm and a rheostat in the mechanical elbow which is paired to the fuel level gauge on your dash. If you want to trick your fuel level gauge into displaying empty when you actually have a reserve of fuel on board you can calculate (fudge) a different depth (shallower) of the tank leaving you a resulting reserve of fuel in the tank even when the gauge reads "Empty", by fudging the numbers you input into the calculator (you can't change the length or width but you can change/fudge the depth) you can then proceed to measure and cut your sending units float arms to a particular length so that it tricks the gauge into registering the tanks are empty when they actually have a reserve of fuel inside. I did not do this. I will document the actual fuel level in the tanks when filling 10 gallons at a time and therefore know what each hash mark on the gauge actually means regarding fuel onboard. Either way will work, just a matter of preference. I'm thinking if I know what I got up front that is data I can bank on as well as track any variable should the components start to fail.
Last edited by carl on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge
Twin Crusader 350's
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Postby Fastjeff » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:12 am

Sheesh! That's too complicated for me--I'm a simple man.

I put about ten gallons in each tank and messed with the adjustments (angle and location on the rod) until they just said "E".

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:27 am

Just purchased two of these mats for rebuilding my port and starboard Rochester Quadrajet carburetors side by side...https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80170/10002/-1
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge
Twin Crusader 350's
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Postby Fastjeff » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:01 am

They have gotta make them run even better!

Jeff